Ed DunhamAdministrator
(Former Meteorologist & CFHC Forum Moderator (Ed Passed Away on May 14, 2017))
Fri Mar 30 2007 02:09 PM
Re: The 2007 Outlook

The latest SST forecast was issued this morning by CPC:

CPC 6-Month SST Forecast

The CPC outlook continues to show a robust La Nina in the eastern tropical Pacific during the Summer but it also indicates a continued cooling trend of the tropical Atlantic during August and September. The accuracy of the forecast is not as significant to me as is the continued trend toward a cooler tropical Atlantic by mid-Summer.

Looking at previous years where a weak El Nino switched to a La Nina ENSO event during the early Spring can also be helpful in developing an outlook for this season. Four representative years are noted, along with the storm totals for those seasons:

1954: 11/8/2
1964: 12/6/6
1970: 10/5/2
1988: 12/5/3

The best analog years from an ENSO viewpoint are 1964 and 1988. Both of these years had an average anomaly of +0.8C during the D/J/F timeframe - as does 2007.

If this cooling trend materializes during the Summer, the chances for late-season activity will decline. My new seasonal distribution is as follows:

M/J = 0; J = 2; A = 4; S = 4; O = 2; N = 1; D = 0

Although I've left the door open for a subtropical system in November, my revised seasonal forecast is 13/7/3 .
Cheers,
ED

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center