cieldumort
(Moderator)
Mon Jul 21 2008 05:35 PM
Re: Historic Bertha Stats Adding Up

According to research by Margie Kieper as reported by Dr. Jeff Masters in Wunderground:

Quote:

July 19, 2008, marked the first time on record that three July tropical storms were active on the same day in the Atlantic. Bertha, Cristobal, and Dolly were all tropical storms yesterday. Thanks to Margie Kieper for checking on this stat for me.

In the interest of accuracy, on this I do need to point out 2 small disclaimers

First - I am guessing that Dr. Masters meant to type July 20, 2008, as on July 19, 2008 now Tropical Storm Dolly had yet to be a numbered tropical depression, let alone named storm.

Second - Bertha was barely hanging on to enough tropical characteristics on the morning of July (20) for the National Hurricane Center to continue advisories on her as a tropical cyclone.

However, disclaimers-aside, the rest of these numbers seem solid. With the inclusion of Dolly, Cristobal and still-tropical cyclone Bertha, July (20) 2008 probably marked the first July day since record keeping began that three July tropical storms were active on the same date. A mighty impressive feat for this season, and surely yet another in the now long list of feathers in Bertha's cap!

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center