Bev
(Weather Guru)
Sat Aug 16 2008 09:48 PM
Re: Fay's Florida Impact Potential

A category 1 storm is nothing to be overly concerned about. Most people stay in their homes just like you would during a bad thunderstorm. Personally, I head across the street and take photos of the bay. But don't follow my example.

My point is, there is no reason to panic whatsoever about a cat 1. Chances are you've endured winds that strong already in various thunderstorms over the years.

If you are afraid of losing power and enduring high temperatures, an easy way to cope is to take frequent cold showers, keep a wet towel over your head. A fan is also very helpful if you have a generator. Remember keep the generator OUTSIDE, not inside.

A cat 1 storm likely would not cause enough damage that FPL would be unable to get you back online in a reasonably short time. Also, the old cracker houses tended to be built much stronger than much of the construction from the 50's-90. Even in Cat 4 Charley, most of the old cracker houses withstood it with little damage while some of the newer structures didn't fare as well.

However, if you are ordered to evacuate, you should do so immediately. Even the old houses are no match for storm surge.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center