Jumaduke
(Verified CFHC User)
Thu Aug 21 2008 04:51 PM
Re: Preparations, Closings and Conditions in Your Area

I am in High Springs, about midway between Gainesville and Lake City. Thursday it's been totally overcast, quite breezy, with a few stronger gusts coming around. We've had mist-like conditions all morning, but no true showers yet.

Alachua County public schools are closed Thursday, and we're in a wait-and-see pattern about Friday.

I'm wondering exactly what kind of conditions we can expect here in the next 12-36 hours. It's a little frustrating to know that we're using a flex day in our school calendar to stay home today and we don't even have to use an umbrella if we're outside less than five minutes.

As of this post (about 1:00), it looks like Fay's center is enlarging, which will probably weaken the system ... ?

As for generators, my husband and I bought one during our three-day power outage after Frances. Can't imagine anyone living in Florida since 2004 who hasn't jumped on the bandwagon and already gotten a generator!

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center