kapSt.Cloud
(Weather Hobbyist)
Fri Oct 07 2022 01:21 AM
Re: Ian's impact in your area

I had to check to see where St. James City, FL is located. Your mobile home (manufactured home as they are now named) made it through that monster! To say I was shocked is an under statement! Water in front, water in back. This proves without a doubt, your home being on piers saved it. Storm surge is the destroyer and the killer! You can’t fight water!

Central Florida is suffering from severe flooding from Ian. It hasn’t crested yet. I’m in St. Cloud, FL which was flooded 4 streets up from our lake. Someone vandalized the locks in Orange County. As a result their water was dumped into our East Lake Tohopekaliga! The last time we had flooding was in the ‘60’s. Since then Florida has turned into a paved parking lot with no place for the water to drain.

I read an article this week about how people concentrate on the high winds of a hurricane instead of storm surge. Katrina should have alerted people to the fact it’s the water and not so much the wind. Camille hit Mississippi in 1969 with a central pressure of 900 millibars; the wind instruments were destroyed so they estimated the winds were 175 mph at landfall. The old antebellum homes in MS withstood her winds, then Katrina took them out in 2005 due to a storm surge at high tide! A 28-32 foot storm turned those homes into match sticks! It was as if a bomb had been dropped on the 3 coastal counties of MS. Two major bridges over the bays were destroyed. I-10 which goes cross country was flooded in parts. That interstate highway is about 7 miles from the coast!

Watch the following video and tell yourself you (in the collective) won’t pay heed to evacuate when told to do so. Most of the lives lost from Ian didn’t have to happen if they had only listened to the warnings and evacuated. As one person commented “Never underestimate a storm and get out when they tell you to.” Remember you can’t fight water! Everything floating becomes battering rams for the next house, the next building, the next person. While hanging onto a tree or grabbing a door floating by…your skin is being ripped from your body, but you may survive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Kou0HBpX4A

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center