JMII
(Weather Master)
Mon Oct 17 2022 07:35 PM
Attachment
Re: Ian's impact in your area

Quote:

I had to check to see where St. James City, FL is located. Your mobile home (manufactured home as they are now named) made it through that monster! To say I was shocked is an under statement! Water in front, water in back. This proves without a doubt, your home being on piers saved it. Storm surge is the destroyer and the killer! You can’t fight water!

Correct. We finally got over to Pine Island this weekend to inspect in person and yes our mobile home is intact. We estimate there was 12-18" of water that got in, but the screens on the windows are still in place. The patio set (table and chairs) were turned over but the glass table wasn't even so much as chipped. The stairs simply tipped over after the water receded I think - they were not anchored to the ground nor the home. The shed in the backyard by the canal is gone, wind took it.

I fully believe 90% of the damage seen from Ian was surge related. In our case being about a mile from the Sound meant the water level rose but it didn't rush in with waves on top of it. For example our dock is undamaged it was just covered in broken tree limbs and other debris.

Note the neighbors house - it made it thru with almost no damage due to being built even higher. These properties are located on Eight Avenue in St James City about a 1/4 mile from the main N/S road that runs the length of the island.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center