JMII
(Weather Master)
Tue Oct 18 2022 01:58 PM
Attachment
Re: Ian's impact in your area

Quote:

Your roof is intact. I see no damage to the shingles.

You can't see it but the front half (south facing) roof shingles were ripped off.

All the downed trees I saw in Cape Coral were tipped over to the WSW telling me things were worse wind wise on the backside. This is what I experienced in Wilma too in NW Broward. I fully believe the eyewall winds were more inline with 120 MPH not 140-160 or some of the insane 180 "estimated" gusts some were claiming.

Arrow on the radar image is location of pictures above. Comparing this image against the localized damage I think the direct hit might have been a minor blessing since St James got the front and back of the eyewall with a period of calm in between. In contrast areas like Ft. Myers Beach were in the S eyewall the entire time, it never let up even after landfall. Downtown Ft. Myers flooded due to the ocean water pushing up the river where it getting funneled into a narrower space forcing it higher and higher. The radar also shows why the surge was bad down S in Naples, they too never saw a break from the onshore flow until Ian was halfway across the state. Everyone N of the eye experienced offshore flow and thus no surge at all.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center