IsoFlame
(Weather Analyst)
Thu Nov 10 2022 05:27 PM
Re: Nicole Conditions in your Area

At noon: 76F, overcast (with light drizzle at times), wind SE 20-25 mph / gusts 30-35 mph. As of noon, received an additional 0.42" 2-day Nicole event rainfall total: 2.70".

While I personally did not observe (estimated) sustained wind greater than 60 mph, nor any gusts in excess of 70 mph at my location 600' from the Atlantic Ocean in Daytona Beach Shores, winds may have been higher early in the morning prior to 4 am (when I woke up from a sound sleep!). Media has reported highest wind gust in Daytona Beach and Daytona Beach Shores at 77 and 85 mph respectively.

From Media:
Richard Tribou, Orlando Sentinel
Thu, November 10, 2022 at 8:03 AM

NASA left its $4.1 billion Space Launch System rocket and Orion spacecraft for the Artemis I mission to the moon on the launch pad at Kennedy Space Center to ride out Hurricane Nicole, noting that it could withstand sustained winds of 85 mph at 60 feet high when vertical at Launch Complex 39-B.

Hurricane Nicole ended up testing those safety limits.

The weather sensors on a tower at LC 39-B record wind data among other things at various heights every five minutes, posted to kscweather.ksc.nasa.gov.

The SLS stands 321 feet tall and the 600-foot-tall tower sensors are as high as 459 feet up. At 4:15 a.m., one sensor recorded a maximum gust of 100 mph. The average wind at that time was 85 mph.

At lower heights, though, the wind was not as severe at that time. At 134 feet at that time, a sensor recorded a gust of 81 mph and sustained winds of 67 mph.

The tower’s tallest sensors saw gusts between 90-100 mph several times between 3 and 5 a.m. but sustained winds more in the 50-60 mph range closer to the ground.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center