Ed DunhamAdministrator
(Former Meteorologist & CFHC Forum Moderator (Ed Passed Away on May 14, 2017))
Mon Sep 09 2002 04:06 AM
Subtropical Storm Gustav

Gustav is still very much subtropical and will probably stay that way during the night. Center still trying to form - I placed it at 30.5N 73W at 03Z, or a little southwest of the NHC coordinates. Movement has been nil for the past few hours. I'm still not putting a high degree of probability in the northwest track. This subtropical system has its origin in an upper level low. Tropical models try to move systems based on their tropical nature and the environment that will influence them. Models don't handle subtropical systems with cold-core low origins quite as well. Eventual movement, at least the initial movement, could turn out to be far more westerly than currently advertised - I don't expect anything to happen too quickly with this system. Upper low systems that evolve into tropical systems don't usually make drastic direction changes so I'd keep an eye on Gustav from north Florida to Cape Hatteras.

Sidenote: Gulf of Mexico is looking interesting - the proverbial boiling pot - possible development in a couple of days. Wouldn't surprise me any to eventually see a significant system, however there is no evidence of structure at the moment. Area just north of the Yucatan has potential.
Cheers,
ED

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center