LI Phil
(User)
Fri Apr 16 2004 08:33 PM
Re: Guess The Hurricane

Could be the same hurricane. Perhaps he'll tell us.

You're question is pretty easy, I think...there have only been 5 CAT 5 hurricanes in the Atlantic basin in the past 20 years, three of which were direct US hits (Isabel 03-Cat 2 at landfall; Andrew-Cat 5 at landfall, and Hugo,-Cat 4 at landfall). The two others were Gilbert in '88 (LOWEST pressure at 888 mb), which though it did not landfall in the US, it did head up into Texas as a TD. Gilbert And Mitch in '98 (pressure 905 mb), which, after doing a number on Central America, made it back into the GOM and hit the Gulf Coast of Florida as a TS. Mitch. Therefore, technically, ALL 5 Cat 5's have hit the US, only two did not strike the US directly. So I guess my two choices are Mitch or Gilbert. Normally I'd go with Mitch, but based on the fact that Gilbert had such a low pressure, I'll pick Gilbert. Am I right?

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center