MikeCAdministrator
(Admin)
Thu Jun 30 2005 04:54 AM
Re: Main Page Modifications

Yeah i just added the ability to turn it off entirely if you so wish. Activated some server side caching, and got redundant databases up. it's still using MySQL for the moment, Need to migrate it to InnoDB at least so I can do backups more regularly.

Caching and the css has already had an effect. I've still go the donation link up so I can move the server out of the current link to a faster one, and maybe get a secondary database server. So far, I still haven't had much good luck finding colocation facilities, best one so far was Zipa, but that's in New Orleans of all places, and the irony of running a hurricane site there is very clear to me.

Scalability of the site is still a big concern for me. Rght now it could probably sustain another large hurricane event, most assuredly without the crazy problems of last year. And could deal with a slashdotting for the most part. Mainly thanks to the image mirrors. The only negative is that many "avatars" are not resized correctly when stored on the image server network, and I need to fix that.

The image server network is currently running with 4 servers, and that takes a good chunk of the load off the main server. Still most of the site is dynamic, but I can switch things into cached static page mode if needed, like the main page. Some of the forum pages are cached as well. Radium's hints on this have been great for that. Ubbthreads has been modified a great deal by me, and probably will be stuck at the version its at. It's a bit quicker than the stock one, but it's made to be for this site. vBulletin was another possibilty for the site, and it would have worked ok too. phpBB didn't have quite what I needed originally. It doesn't matter much now, however. If I switched again it would likely be toward whatever Radium comes up with.

There are still a lot of quirks with the site, and the links, along with the older storm spotlight, printer pages, etc still needs a revisit. Maps are off my back because of Skeetobite, so I've been mainly focusing on scalability and performance of the site. I really don't want it to go down again. But I'm sure I'll continue to tweak it all i can.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center