mjminjax
(Registered User)
Sat Aug 27 2005 12:41 AM
Re: Skeetobite Maps

Love the maps - flhurricane.com has become my "go-to" site for hurricane info.

A question about the wind radii:

Quote:

According to the National Hurricane Center, an average 75% of the total tropical storm/hurricane is in the northeast quadrant of any given storm. As you view these maps, and the model/track maps provided by the U.S. Navy, you will see that a large portion of the storm is indeed offset to the northeast quadrant as evidenced by the windfield radii drawn on each map. The wind radii depicted in our maps is created using official data provided by the National Hurricane Center.

Is this always true, no matter what the direction of travel for the storm is? It would seem that in the case of a storm traveling directly west making landfall on the east coast (i.e. Katrina in south Florida), the strongest quadrent of the storm (the leading right-hand quadrant along the path of travel) would be in the northWEST quadrant.

But I could be wrong...

MJM in JAX

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center