madmumbler
(Storm Tracker)
Sat May 26 2007 02:49 PM
Re: Is this site getting to strict?

I managed to make the graveyard this year as the first post, even though it was a slow period. *LOL* (Do I get a cookie or something for that, btw? *LOL*)

Here's my .02 on the organzation thread.

I think that each active storm, from the time it's an invest, should get it's own ...okay, I use SMF so I'm going to use those terms -- should get it's own "board." Then you can have an "official" front page topic in that board, keep that on-topic, and let people go to town in the rest of that storm's "board."

Have a "general" weather/storm board.

Then have boards for EPac, etc.

Have a board for totally off-topic stuff.

Have an "official" CFHC board.

So it would look like this:

1) "Official" CFHC board ------>FAQs, rules, etc. (This should be at the top so people can find it -- most posts can be locked, maybe have one or two unlocked for questions, comments, etc.)
2) Current storms forum -------> storm boards ----->main front page thread stickied (strict on-topic) / user-posted topics (varying ot thresh holds) -- and each storm forum can be "locked" for read-only after the NHC stops issuing notices on it.
3) Other weather basins ------->by location ------> threads
4) General weather board
5) OT board

That's my .02

People won't read rules if they're at the bottom. If they have to see the site rules at the top, they're more likely to view and read them.

I like the site, although I do have to agree sometimes some mods are totally strict without apparent rhyme or reason, while others seem to let stuff wander longer. If there was more consistency it would be appreciated.

With a system like this, you could basically moderate the one (hopefully only one at a time!!!) active storm forum, and the rest rely more upon user reports of "bad" posts. It would simplify your work and keep related posts in the same area.

For really catastrophic storms like Katrina where the discussions went on far past the active life of the storm, you could lock down most of the forum and leave a few threads open, prevent new topics from being posted, etc.

The current system makes a lot of work for the moderators. You don't need to have separate forums for every ot topic. It makes it harder for users to find stuff, and it also makes more work for y'all to have to police it all. Direct people to the search function.

Most people, I'm sure, are here for current storm updates anyway. Do you have a way of tracking usage by topic/forum? If you do, see where your current stats are heaviest, and that will give you a road map to format the forum.

I would do it sooner than later though if you plan on making changes. *LOL*

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center