TPuppy
(Registered User)
Sun Aug 31 2008 05:53 PM
I am missing you

Where is everyone? I have been a long time lurker (2002), always turning to CFHC for education, insight, and a dose of reality. Now when we need these things most, there is nothing forthcoming from our philosophers. Personally, I agree totally that this in not the place for ‘wishcasting’, bashing, foul language, or any conversations not directly related to tropical weather. On the other hand, one line comments or questions should not be prohibited. If you think about it, most of the topics initiated by the moderators are in fact one solid comment or question. As a small business owner, this site assisted our company in having all of our ducks in order prior to Charlie, Frances and Jeannie. Had it not been for the wise caution and insight supplied by the posters of this site, we would have been caught off guard and much behind the eight-ball. As a small business government contractor had we not anticipated the possible impact and made the necessary preparations we could have lost our contract or some of our employees may have major loses or had more damage to their property. As it is, lessons learned, I have a real problem with the media and dealing with these very unpredictable entities. Locally, in Orlando, the four news affiliates (ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX) have started overruling the NHC with their very expensive modeling software, some more than others. They may have gotten parts of Fay correct, but what does this mean as a trend? After watching the local news this morning I ran into my neighbors and talked to a couple of friends, some of local media have made it sound so likely that Hanna will just brush us and head north, that all of the people I talked to this morning stated that Hanna is nothing to worry about, but OMG what about NOLA and Gustav!! Now a few hours later, I’m hearing thank god Gustav will not be as bad as predicted it is only a Cat 3! Hey guys, this is the mentality that you, NHC, FEMA and the government have to deal with. Therefore, with that said, this IS more art than science, but for some of us, reading about the ‘what ifs’ can make the difference. Walking my dog this morning, I noticed a home that had put up plywood, and another that had ‘sand’ bags in front of the garage door, granted they both have occupants that work for utility companies and may anticipate being called to duty away from this area and not being able to prepare for a later threat, but it made me stop and think. Don’t ask all of us lurkers and newbees to be as well versed as the experts. Attacks of life, home, and livelihood are personal. I have promoted this site and have educated many people with the intelligence I have gleaned. Let’s keep the momentum going. If band-width and equipment is a problem, by all means let’s get the donations coming in.
Until then, maybe limiting some of the outside information should be considered, the most important parts are the talk/interaction. Lately, instead of going to CFHC for the NHC updates I go directly to the NCH and SFWMD sites, I as a tax payer am paying for it, and they haven’t let me down yet. Not sure this helps with your problems, as I am not an expert in band width either.

Respectively your loyal lurker
TPuppy, Kissimmee, FL

(Post moved to the appropriate Forum.)

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center