Clark
(Meteorologist)
Thu Sep 04 2008 07:21 AM
Re: I am missing you

I want to thank everyone for their honest comments in this thread and encourage others to post their insight and feelings. An open dialogue is what helps make this site a very good source of information.

Unfortunately at this late hour, I don't have the chance to respond to a lot of the posts yet, but I do want to add some insight to parts of weathernet's post and hopefully expand upon it with some of my feelings in general.

Quote:

Then there is the appearant lack of technical submissions, whether by other MET's, MET students, or related industry professionals. Why have they chosen to not provide their analysis or forecast?

The lines and perameters regarding discussion have become so strict and defined ( at least by some ), that it is my personal feeling that most knowledgable weather enthusiasts, on air weatherman, MET professors, students, and retirees, storm chasers, etc, have simply lost interest in the restrictive nature of conversation and "hand slapping", that they just lurk like the greater many that view this site. That, and log in and actually participate in one of at least 2 or 3 other progressive and very active Tropical Weather Forum web sites.

I think that until the owners and/or administrators of this site choose to embrace and encourage real communication ( ie. opinion, humor, dissagreement, unapologetic severe weather enthusiasts, etc. ), than you will see less and less insight and perspecitve from scientists, weather enthusiasts, media, emergency personel than what you might have been accustomed to in the past.

I think that if you compare 2008 to 2002 or 2003, there are actually more meteorologists who post on this site now versus then. While it may be true that those of us who might've used to be able to post more -- myself, Jason K., and HF -- have not been able to post as much in the past couple of years, there are others who have joined the community and offer their insight when and where possible.

All professionals are different in what they enjoy, but many of them truly do like a more structured, technical discussion. Many of them also enjoy less structured discussion. Where's the perfect balance? I don't know. It's something that evolves for me on a continual basis. And, to some degree, all websites evolve on a continual basis. My point is that I don't think it's fair to blanket the community on either side -- for every meteorologist that may be turned off by a stricter moderation scheme you'll find another who appreciates it a lot.

Truly, life simply just gets in the way for many of us when it comes to what time we have and how much we can share. We all have jobs, families, etc. that have to come first. I greatly enjoy posting here because of the community but also because of the friendships made and the feeling that the knowledge I have is making a difference based off of the feedback I receive. But, everything else has to come first.

As for the rest, particularly related to moderation policies and site structure, I will leave that for those more actively involved with that part of the site. Just rest assured that everyone here does care what the users think and wants this site to truly be "Hurricanes Without the Hype," a place where open discussion and information sharing takes place.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center