TPuppy
(Registered User)
Fri Sep 05 2008 02:10 AM
They are back!

To reiterate many of the post, hear! hear! to the talents of all those in the NHC, all of whom I have great respect for. Not a piece of land has been left out of the 4-5 day cone, so heads up, you’ll! Point in fact, this is an accolade to the talents of the NHC, for those of us that read the discussions, we would know to disregard the 4-5 day cone, as it is uncertain. But how many of you read that sentence as being sarcastic? Come on you know who you are. This maybe one of the issues the CFHC is experiencing, text does not emote. An honest comment or retort may be taken as a flame; a calculated thought or debate on some one posters opinion, as a personal attack.

Yes, I had questioned the participation of the ‘in the know’ crowd, but I am beginning to read the information that I felt was valuable and made this whole mess a little more manageable. Thanks to all that post such informative information, insights and clarifications.

I’m thinking to make things easier to understand, because not all of us have the time to research old archives, look back on past storms, and advance our degree in meteorology, when the storms are approaching, that maybe the main page is just the ‘qualified’ met guys discussing (qualified by the administrator and not by degrees, (possibly adding a “I want this registered persons comments on the main page” button, always approved by the administrators) and only one lounge (the active TC lounge). Then all posts from the main page (approved experts) also show up in the lounge at the exact time stamp as posted. Then the rest of us that want to hear the other chatter, want to have links, sundry information pointed out to us, have questions answered (simple and complex), or comments on the ‘main page experts comments’ can spend some extra time in the lounge.

The other thing I realized was that without the one line posts of things such as:
‘I totally agree’
‘good call’
‘great logic’

by some of the screen names that I recognized, (and some that I didn’t have a clue).
I couldn’t tell if I should be listening or if it was just a bunch of poppycock.
Was the last extremely involved post all fiction or all fact?
Does everyone agree, disagree, or just not have time for this diatribe?

The one line posts aren’t all that insignificant.
They also made me go back and reread the post if one of my ‘go to’ guys was responding in the positive or in the negative.

To get a larger audience, although I realize this is not a money making sight, you need to appeal to the new comers and make them feel welcome. ‘In the heat of the moment’ (not to seem alarmist) repeating certain information is just good for business. Tell us what the dovak shows us in laymen’s terms. Tell us why the IR looks more ominous than it should and why; then tell us what else to look at and what to look for. Bring us along into your world, educate us.
I have read all the recent comments, and I have thought hard on why I do not want to look for a better place to get my insight. Please PM me with your thoughts.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center