Beckster1
(Registered User)
Wed Aug 22 2012 02:41 PM
What happened to everyone

I would like to add my two cents in regards to what Typhoon_tip posted on 9/21/12, which is listed after ****. I have been lurking on this site since 2005 and have gained valuable knowledge and insight to the weather and hurricanes. The reason for the traffic reduction is not all the competing forums, but how some members were treated whenever they posted something. I saw the mods come down hard on users who posted something they didn't like. Whether it was something a little off topic, their ideas/wishcasting, etc., users were constantly getting blasted. So many folks got upset that they stopped posting and moved on. This in turn drove people like me away as the posts became very infrequent.

Back in the good old days, this site would have lots of posts coming in minute by minute as everyone gave their thoughts on how things were going to play out. We have a storm bearing down towards Florida or somewhere on the East Coast and so far only 14 people have commented. Only 3 registered users, 19 anonymous. Very sad. On Wunderground tropical page, there are almost 4,000 comments in a 24 hour peroid. Big difference. Yes, some are wishcasting and don't know what they are talking about. It's still funny to read them and wonder what planet they are on. If you have been reading/following for a while, you know who has the best ideas and knows what they are talking about.

This used to be a great site and at one time, there were hundreds of users on during the hurricane season. Daniel W, Typhoon, Mike, LoisCane & Scott to name a few have been on here for several years and have a great following. I remember reading Snownut (I think it was spelled that way), whose forecast was usually correct.

Bottom line is that the mods/admin folks caused the decline in traffic. The members that were posting at that time left due to all negative comments made from the mods and that in turn drove the lurkers like me away.

It's to the point now, that I'm not sure if you can bring this site back like it used to be.

Becky

I believe much of the traffic reduction has some to do with competing forums, but mainly that since 2005 the TC threat frequency to the the SE U.S. and the Florida area has greatly diminished. In 2005, Florida was like the proving ground at an air force missile testing site, as nature dealt them salvo after salvo of whacks upside the head. Immediately the next season there were no threats; and I noticed straight away the traffic was halved immediately, the next year halved again.

During 2005 it was crowded and often unruly on CFHC. Even with the best of Moderator attention, free-speculation devoid of much Meteorological value was too often flown. The problem here is that we want to be a reputable source that can be trusted, as much as serves to provide both entertainment, and a nexus for enthusiasts and educated alike. It is difficult to placate the novice with an itchy trigger finger while aspiring to that goal.

Personally I do not see any harm in perhaps adopting a "Scorched Earth" policy where certain postings are allowed during quiescent times, then limits are imposed during tense storm monitoring. But I am not sure that is plausible with the current staff of Admins and Moderators having alternate lives, and do this voluntarily.

That's about all we need to say about this; if we would like to continue the discussion, we can definitely take it off line. Perhaps include Mike or another Admin with your concerns - they are not without merit.

Thanks,
John

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center