Kevin
(Weather Master)
Mon Jul 08 2002 12:07 AM
Re: 5:30 PM tropical outlook.

Colleen: The hurricane hunters rarely stay in any system for more than 3-4 hours. This is usually due to reasons such as fuel consomption. And when they are flying around a storm and inside of it, they only use two of the four engines. It's quite hard to see in these things at night and they don't do it unless they absolutely have to. The last time NHC did a nighttime mission (I'm not sure about this) was with Erin of 1995. As long as this thing keep some of it's convection and keeps it's good structure recon will be back in tommorrow.

Shawn: You're correct about the convection issue. I just looked on the IR and the convection is only moderate at best...I have a feeling this could be a problem with this system. In order for TD status by 11 tonight or even 5 tommorrow morning, this thing must hold and develop some more convection. But knowing NHC, they will fly recon in tommorrow afternoon to check on the circulation's status and what kind of shape it's in. The chances of development are about 65% IMO, maybe higher.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center