Steve
(Senior Storm Chaser)
Wed Jul 10 2002 06:30 PM
Re: Test on 96L

Yeah. Bring your surfboard. It should be great for swimming and surfing, but if the low hangs out beyond Friday, it's gonna suck to be in a boat. Also, if it were to develop into anything named, they'll probably order a mandatory evacuation of the island as they always do. In that case, just hang out in Leesville or Port Fourchon instead until they lift the order. If you're there to fish, fish the marshes north of Grand Isle (Golden Meadow, Leesville, etc.).

"Satellite data and surface observations indicate that the low pressure area located about 270 miles southeast of New Orleans, Louisiana has become a little better organized. Upper level winds are expected to become more favorable over the Northern Gulf of Mexico tomorrow and some slow development of this system is possible as it moves slowly weset-northwestard. An air force reserve recon is scheduled to investigate the system tomorrow if necessary."

Something about hearing New Orleans and possible development just makes me all warm and fuzzy inside. Now if this was something legit, maybe my desk might have risen a few inches off the ground.

Anyway, I'm thinking that the threat of heavy rainfall will still be between Waveland and Pensacola. I'm a couple of days late with my 6-7" of rainfall prediction because of all of the moisture coalescing (sp?) around the low rather than all across the northern gulf. So instead of the Tues-Wed period, it's more likely going to be in the late Thurs-Friday period. All models were running this thing up through the Panhandle, but I don't know for sure as I haven't looked at anything lately. If it stays weak, the eastern side will be the rainy side.

Cheers back at ya!

Steve

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center