Kevin
(Weather Master)
Sun Aug 04 2002 07:36 PM
Re: TALLAHASSEE DISCUSSION

The TLH discussion describes the situation pretty damn well. It says the low shows TC characteristics on radar and satellite imagery but surface obs show it is blw TD status. That should change soon. Still I'm only thinking that this will be a TD or a weak TS (30-35 knots at best). Could dump HUGE rainfall amounts though. Allison of 2001 proved rain can be worse than wind. We do have a potential windstorm off of the SC coast however....

Yes, above I was referring to 99L. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that there is a very broad area of low pressure off of SC...and the convection to the east is also trying to wrap around it's north side. The low is on land now but if a slow southward drift is beginning this could all change. Call me an idiot, but if the upper-trough continues to lose it's influence on these two lows we may just see a tropical storm 75-175 miles off of the Fla. EC by mid to late week. Time will tell if this in the cards.

I think the bottom line here is with all of the possible activity we've seen near the U.S. this year...it is a sign of increased U.S. activity for this season (especially EC, we've had two systems try to spin up near there this year, one in may). The ITCZ seems to be coming to life but needs to rise northward if anything is to spin up there.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center