wxman007
(Meteorologist)
Thu Aug 08 2002 09:14 PM
Random thoughts...

1) Bertha...looks more impressive that it really is...recon had a tough time finding anything really there. Goes to show, that no matter HOW much sat analysis you do, there is NO subsitiute for direct observations. Should be a minimal rainmaker for portions of S TX.

2) Cristobal - not much to say here either...strong pressure rises are signalling it's transition to extratropical status...NHC is discontinuing advisories, with good reason.

3) Wave N of PR - I'm really unimpressed with this. Looked pretty good this morning, really gone downhill this afternoon, and looks to be headed off to the north in Cristobal's wake. Not too concerned about this.

4) Seasonal predictions - Not a big believer in them anyway for one simple reason...it doesn't address the REAL question, will there be a US landfall, and where? 14 storms that are fish spinners don't mean anything to the vast majority of residents of the US. But, every time Dr Gray or NOAA adjust the forecast, the media jumps all over it. My station, just prior to my weathercast, announced Dr Gray's revision and tossed to me and said "Jason, looks like we don't have much to worry about, huh?"...took 1 of my 3 minutes shooting THAT down!

Any way, I'll get off my soapbox now.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center