Steve
(Senior Storm Chaser)
Wed Aug 14 2002 09:38 PM
Re: Western GoM

If it hangs out a few more days, it won't be ignored. All models were moving Bermuda High over my way over the last few days. However, MM5 and NOGAPS have slacked a bit. Btw, NOGAPS (I think it was) had a very interesting solution on the 12Z run for the east coast where the ridge actually splits in the 84-120 hour range. I haven't seen that so far this summer.

Pressures are marginal, but all winds are (were last I checked @ 1:00) basically out of the SE. You have a surface trof piling into an upper feature so it can't move WNW like it should and it's just sitting there spinning up convection which hasn't made it my way yet today.

It's not impossible, but it's not likely to do anything yet. See my post yesterday on the options because the only thing that's changed is if we get a wind shift this far south, that convection is going to miss us to the SE and more likely affect MS, AL, FL in a few days.

No news on Bastardi's little spin headed for the FL straits. Models don't do very much with it so far, but it will be riding south of the nose of the Bermuda High, so it's anyone's guess if something can play out here. Had Joe not continued to mention it for the last few days, I would have lost it.

Steve

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center