Unregistered User
(Unregistered)
Fri Aug 16 2002 07:15 PM
Re: Steve what do you think of mid atlantc wave?

im not sure what steve thinks.. but its probably something like this: the nhc surface analysis is putting a dopey little low out there.. which is maybe a max on the wave. it is also at very low latitude. you dont tend to look for cape verde systems to come out of these things right on the itcz.. better chances with 'tall' waves that have convection all the way up their axis and not just little low amplitude itcz bumps. in other words.. you can watch it, but dont hold your breath waiting for it to develop.
the southeastern atlantic is looking better with time.. but still isnt ready. there have been times earlier this season when the itcz was shifted up and shear was weak.. but subsidence and the emaciated waves so far this year have kept it quiet.
other item of interest.. the eastpac is almost as quiet as it was last year during this month. remember how we almost made it through august 2001 without a named eastpac storm? flossie finally formed on the 26th. the activity level in the eastpac basin and atlantic sort of walked hand in hand.. so i wouldnt be surprised if both of them light up at about the same time this year.
anyhow i'm just not as impressed by cape verde storms as most other people here seem to be. almost all of them recurve. it's the late developers, as bastardi has named them, that interest me.
HF 1915z16august

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center