tom5r
(Weather Watcher)
Fri Aug 23 2002 03:12 PM
Re: 10 Years Ago... Andrew

That was an awakening writeup on Andrew and development on the florida east coast, but if we were to look closer, the entire east coast is well over developed in oceanic storm areas. From key West to Long Island ( the catchers mit ) the shore front property is heavily developed.
People tend to forget or are not informed of the history of coastal storms. As a young boy growing up on the Jersey shore ( ca. 1961, give or take a year ) I experienced what they call the GREAT MARCH STORM ( AS IT WAS NOT TROPICAL AND THEREFORE NOT A HURRICANE ) although a spinner, where Long Beach Island was literally wiped off the map. People died and thousands of homes were thrown into the bay to the west. This area today is more developed than ever. There was no forecast of a storm and came at night and thousands were trapped. I'll never forget that as long as I live. It can, and will happen again.
I now live in the Florida Keys ( hurricane Alley ) and that is why I go on this site every day. I never want to be caught in that situation again. A spinner is indeed, the wrath of God.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center