Colleen A.
(Moderator)
Mon Sep 02 2002 12:49 AM
Re: Tropical Depression 5 forms 130 miles ESE of Daytona

I believe that the "squashed spider" analogy was someone's way of giving us a little humor....it sure worked for me! ;-)
As far as movement goes, it really hasn't moved all that much, at least from what I can tell. It kinda looks like it's losing its shape a bit, maybe elongating; however, on the last TWC Tropical Update, Mike Sidel said the sectors in the last frame had been changed...maybe that's why it looks like it was going east or south.
I'm not sure what the future holds here for TD#5. It's not moving much, the pressures are somewhat high (which NWS mentioned in their 2:35pm update, saying that this may be because the center could be reforming).
One thing's for sure as far as these things go: I have learned that if you sit and watch the loops all day long, you will have a very large and painful headache. This is also known a HurricaneItis. This conditon may be include the following symptoms:
1. You're head is always cocked in a WEST or WNW direction.
2. When other men around you (this is for the gentlemen here) mention "models", you automatically respond: "They are not reliable" or "The GFDL Model does best in this type of situation".
3. You wake up at 3:01AM and stay up until 3:50am so you won't miss the Tropical Update.
4. When someone gets something in their eye, you ask how low their pressure is, on a scale of 1-5.
5. You have a map at home with all red dots on it indicating all the past storms for each month of the hurricane season.
6. You know what 290/15 means.

Ok, anyone else experiencing these symptoms?

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center