Colleen A.
(Moderator)
Tue Sep 03 2002 09:50 PM
Re: Tuesday Edouard Update

I think the chances that the NHC could be wrong are always there...predicting a landfalling hurricane is never an exact science and it takes a lot of ingredients to get a good, strong storm together. For instance, if Eduardo was moving north, he would be destroyed by the shear....but he's not. He's moving S/WSW. Anything is possible. The NHC has many weather experts working there; however, just like any other job it is prone to errors because things don't always pan out the way they expect them to..remember Opal? Andrew? There are lots of examples....Mitch is a good one...he just did the "sit and spin" game for I think about 3 years ...LOL....Just keep watching...if you see that the storm is moving a certain way, the NHC will usually wait 2+ advisories before upgrading (unless it's an absolute, like an eye forms) to make sure it wasn't just a hiccup in the storm.

It's frustrating, I know...but, whenever things like this happen, we learn once again that weather is as unpredictable as unpredictable can get. ;-)

Even worse than women.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center