Frank P
(Veteran Storm Chaser)
Wed Sep 04 2002 07:00 PM
Re: GOM Low

My take for what it's worth...

If Edouard continues on its present motion, and survives the trip across Florida, then I think that system will pose a greater threat to the North Central Gulf area.... This has been an amazingly persistent system and has overcome some significant obstacles just to stay alive (dry air/shear).... IF it gets into the GOM as a depression, then my money is on Eddie.... the only negative thing about this scenario is that its what the GFDL predicted several days ago... and I would hate to start thinking that these models can actually be right once in a while... althought is has been off on the intensity and timing...

Now the GOM.... very impressive convection all afternoon but data buoy not suggesting anything eminent... only one buoy reading winds greater than 20K and pressures not nearly as low today as yesterday... I guess it all depends on where and if a definable center developes... closer to the TX shoreline the less chance for any thing major to develop... center develops a couple hundred miles out in the NE GOM, then it has a better chance to crank... Regardless, it should be quite a rain maker for SE TX and LA... little if any impact on MS/AL/FL at the moment... I still am having a hard time trying to pinpoint a center, best I can tell is that is off the TX coast in the western GOM, but I don't have a lot of confidence on that location...

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center