Unregistered User
(Unregistered)
Tue Sep 10 2002 08:17 PM
But Opal Could Have Been Worse

She was spinning down when she came ashore on the panhandle, which was fortunate. This is not to downplay her impact, but I believe Kevin was referring to the west coast of Florida (tampa-St. Pete) and points south. IMO there is still too much chaos in the GOM to get things going for a rapidly intensifying system. Models are all over the place, and the biggest question is which part of the trough takes command from the Mid-west to the East; the lead or the trailer? WIll determine the pitch of the Ridge and which way the low?? will go. ETA prefers the W. GOM/AVN the East- Central/ GGEM Bahamas. Meantime 95L hanging by a thread, but if it makes it thru the next 24 hours could regenerate. Seems like the wave at 40ish is getting pulled to the north by the trough, so that might go bye bye. Life is so complicated. Cheers!! Steve H. BTW, El Nino could kill the October part of the season for the Caribbean which essentially turn off the tropics. I'm beginning to think it's looking that way. But hey, i could be wrong, but there are warm anomalies building in the western/central Pacific.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center