doug
(Weather Analyst)
Tue Sep 10 2002 09:00 PM
Re: Florida may want to keep their eyes peeled on Yucatan...

I agree Florida needs to keep an eye to the SW...to answer your question, and this is from a life long set of experiences, the only storms that have influenced the west coast (westcentral) of Florida have been some late season very disorganized storms such as Marco, and last season's Gabrielle ( which really was a huricane by the way).
There may have been some others, but I cannot recall too many. We have experienced huricane conditions from storms moving north or away to the NW as they pass by, but have not had that direct hit in my life time. Donna was a Cape Verde storm in the early 60's that spun into the coast south of Ft. Myers, and that is the last one. I know Marco and Gabrielle had a direct hit in the Sarasota, Bradenton area, with relatively minor damage of course.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center