CFHCAdministrator
()
Wed Sep 11 2002 09:08 AM
As 9/11/2002 Arrives Gustav Turns Away

8PM Update
Tropical Depression #9 has formed in the Gulf of Mexico. More will come tomorrow...

Original Update

Gustav, now a pure tropical system, is turning away from North Carolina, as projected earlier, and may chance have a run at hurricane status before moving out to die in the North Atlantic.

Elsewhere, the Gulf of Mexico has an area that will have to survive shear soon to form, and if it does it won't be anytime soon.

Last year at this time there were no storms bearing down either, but for Washington, DC and New York, NY... and the country and western world as a whole, an attack on us the likes not seen since Pearl Harbor occurred. I myself was stricken by a bacterial form of strep throat at the time... sitting very ill and feverish in a doctors office in south Orlando watching TV waiting... watching before, during, and after it happened intently.

The day was surreal for me, as I'm sure it was for many others. Already feeling rotten, this made it worse until the desire for those to survive and live on and more importantly fight back occurred. Even though I was extremely ill, I managed to overcome it for the day, and it wasn't even on my mind. The confusion and thought that what is next crept in and was more alert than ever before. Before I went home I sat in the deli planet trying to eat, watching the television for news, as was everyone else.

The many lives lost and brave new heroes that came to light will never be forgotten by our generation. I hope and pray nothing similiar happens ever again, but the price of our freedom in the United States is eternally having to be vigilant and ready to preserve it. Together with some our stronger allies such as Great Britain, Australia and others I believe it will remain so.

NRL Monterey Marine Meteorology Division Forecast Track of Active Systems (Good Forecast Track Graphic and Satellite Photos)

NASA GHCC Interactive Satellite images at:
North Atlantic Visible (Daytime Only), Infrared, Water Vapor

Some forecast models:
NGM, AVN, MRF, ETA ECMWF

DoD Weather Models (NOGAPS, AVN, MRF)
AVN, ECMWF, GFDL, MM5, NOGAPS, UKMET

Other commentary at Mike Anderson's East Coast Tropical Weather Center, Accuweather's Joe Bastardi, Hurricane City, Gary Gray's Millennium Weather, Barometer Bob's Hurricane Hollow, Snonut, Ed Dunham and Jason M in our Storm Forum Even more on the links page.

- [mike@flhurricane.com]

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center