MoparMitch
(Weather Watcher)
Wed Sep 11 2002 05:52 PM
Re: As 9/11/2002 Arrives Gustav Turns Away

Just reading the NHC text on Gustav and read the following: "...SURFACE OBSERVATIONS INDICATE
THAT BAROCLINIC CYCLOGENESIS IS OCCURRING OVER THE NEW ENGLAND
STATES AND THE CANADIAN MARITIMES."

What does "BAROCLINIC CYCLOGENESIS " mean?

A quick note about 9/11. I was driving into work today @8:40 am. I knew that a moment of silence would be observed at 8:46am. Now, having spent some time in Israel (did a military stint there in the early 80's) the Israeli's observe a moment of silence as follows: The warning sirens go off, and EVERYBODY stops what they are doing and stands at attention. I mean EVERYTHING and EVERYONE stops. Even on the highways !! Cars, buses, trucks come to a complete stop, everybody gets out and stands at attention. This is (was) an amazing site. I was not sure that anybody would do that here, but I passed a Church which had the American flag and our state flag (GA) flying at half mast. I pulled in, got out and observed a moment of silence. About 5 or 6 other cars pulled in and joined me. This is the America that I know; we stand together through good and bad. Time to turn the gun barrels around !!! G-d bless the USA….

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center