Colleen A.
(Moderator)
Wed Sep 18 2002 06:21 PM
Re: Miami...safe better than sorry

Brett...if the NOGAPS is doing that, then either it knows something we don't or it's completely out to lunch. If ALL the models were doing it, okay. Is it only that one?

Mark..yes, I do miss John Hope and I wish we had more forecasters like Brian Norcross who warned Miami about Andrew. He was the only one that I know of who even went there...and he was right.

Here's a very good indicator of where the storm will make landfall: look for Jim Cantore. Wherever HE is, that's where they go. I don't care if the models said Houston, if he was in the Keys, that's where it would go.

I will be interested to see what RECON reports when they get to the center. This storm is very unnerving to say the least. I've always heard it said (mainly from John Hope and some of the old NHC Directors) that your area is never out of the woods until it passes your lon/lat coordinates. That's when you can breath a sigh of relief.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center