Unregistered User
(Unregistered)
Wed Sep 18 2002 11:57 PM
This will be no Camille

I've been reading the posts and I've seen some comparisons of this system to being another Camille.... I was in Camille, up to 5 feet of stinking muddy nasty storm surge in by house... I live on the beach in Biloxi Ms on Hwy 90. The last storm to impact our area was Georges on Sept 30, 1998... so its certainly possible for a system to get to the northern GOM at this time of the year... It's all about timing ... most of the weather gurus in the area are saying the front will not be that strong and will not affect the system... Heck, reading all the posts it looks like it might not even need a front to go north and affect FL... time will tell...

I don't know where this storm will go... TX to Fl seems reasonable.... If I were to pick a spot the Fl panhandle seems like a reasonable spot... Pen to PC... some models pick the MS coast so that pretty much guarantees our safety from the system...

But it's pretty safe for me to say that this will be NO CAMILLE when it impacts land..... the atmosheric conditions for a hurricane to reach Camille status 200+ mile winds is a rare pheomonom indeed, probably once in a life time or for that matter every 100 years or so... maybe it might reach major hurricane status... hopefully not, but certainly something plausable... but Camille.... I think NOT... Am I worried? Heck no, cause I've been through one, if not the most powerful storms of all time

I've seen 200+ mph winds and 22 feet tidal surges.... and survived...... if it comes .. it comes... do I want it here?
HELL NO.....

But know this, if this thing does reach major hurricane status, I feel sorry for the area near and east of the center... cause if you've never been in one... you just don't have ANY IDEA what you are getting into.... For the non-believers it will make you find religion real fast.....

Frank P

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center