Steve
(Senior Storm Chaser)
Fri Sep 20 2002 12:34 AM
Back in full effect - logged in though :)

Here are today's official coordinates (starting late last night).

03 GMT 09/19/02 19.7N 79.5W
09 GMT 09/19/02 20.0N 80.8W
15 GMT 09/19/02 20.0N 81.2W
21 GMT 09/19/02 20.6N 82.0W
8 pm ET 09/19/02 20.7N 82.3W

Hope I didn't tick anyone off - wasn't my intent. So as of today, we're now at 1 degree further north and 2.8 degrees further west. Overall, that's west of WNW. I looked at the Goes 8 and saw (excluding the sat jump) what gave it that "north" looking jog. Apparently the coldest cloud tops were rotating around a bit asymetrical there for a time and the bulk of them rotated to the north side of the storm. Then they moved a bit more around the west side and kind of evened out again. If you go to the Goes 8, you can see the general WNW movement over the last 30 frames. For instance, late this afternoon, the CDO was taking aim at Isle of Youth (S of Cuba). It's been nudging toward it ever since. The entire envelope is pushing WNW with time.

Btw, credit goes to the good people who post here. I may have never learned of the IR tricks that screw up night vision if I hadn't happend upon CFHC. To me, Radar is the best tool, and visible satelites are 2nd. The IR Shortwave works good at nighttime if there is an exposed center.

It's all good. Saints rule!

Steve

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center