Steve
(Senior Storm Chaser)
Fri Sep 20 2002 02:11 AM
The Cuban thing...

My Maclenny niece and nephew got to go to Cuba with their dad 2 summers ago (12 and 6 then). Though they're half Cuban and grew up in Florida (Lockport now), they don't speak a lick of Spanish. They got to see a different way of life that they had to feel through since they couldn't read or speak it. Bucket showers. Old American cars. All of that. They enjoyed the experience, but were none too sad to get back home to NE Florida.

If there is something good to say about Cuba besides that I love Spanish people and Cubans it's that Cuba has been able to acheive a greater than 98% literacy rate - though I'm sure over half of what they learn is indoctrination . In Louisiana, it would probably be a good thing if 50% of the college students were actually literate .

segweigh (sp) - You hate to see any poor countries get hit by natural disasters. Jamaica and Isle of Youth have gotten clobbered but truly are lucky Isadore was only developing and not a Mitch. Props out to everyone reading this in the Islands. Good luck to everyone in Cuba for the next couple of days too!

Steve

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center