Kevin
(Weather Master)
Fri Sep 20 2002 07:36 PM
Isidore-an EXTREMELY tough call. And other tropical issues

Isidore is really P*ssing me off now. I'm getting a bit fed up with the wobbling...this is what is making this forecast impossible. Isidore won't move in one direction for more than 12 hours, it seems the movement is WNW for 12 hours and then NW for the next 12 hours...and so on. Anyone who says this is trivial needs to learn about wobbles...they make it difficult to forecast in the short-term, and the short-term usually dictates the longer-term. Given the fact the the trough is still hanging over Texas and Isidore is moving slowly WNW to NW, I believe we may just see an complete collapse of the steering currents by 48 hours.

I will warn Floridians of one thing though...if Isidore remains a strong hurricane (likely) and drifts westward at 23-24N, the trough comming down on Tuesday will move him more NW initally and the second trough on Wednesday may well turn Isidore back towards the NE and ENE towards Central Florida. Isidore may respond to these troughs very dramatically or may not respond at all. Out of all the uncertainty, however, I believe this one is likely to shoot back towards Florida, possibly even towards the peninsula because Isidore is staying at a lower latitude than earlier forecasted. But don't get me wrong...storms at 23-24N can usually be picked up by troughs easily. Everyone in the GOMEX needs to keep their eye on this regardless of what is forecasted.

Other tropical issues: The tropical wave 1600 hundred miles east of the Windwards is very well defined and HUGE in size as well. A high is building, and this will keep the wave on a W and WNW track through 72 hours. Although I think it is reasonable to think this would be around PR/Hispanola by late next week, Florida *MAY* have to eventually deal with Isidore. The last thing we would need after a storm like Isidore would be another storm.

The low SE of Bermuda may be upgraded to a subtropical or tropical depression today. As busy as things are, I'll leave this one up to the NHC. The concerns at home are far greater than these things.

Kevin

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center