BillD
(User)
Sat Sep 21 2002 01:29 AM
Re: Wishcasters and Andrew

Anyone that has been through a major hurricane would never wish another on themselves, or anyone else. I rode out Andrew just north of where the eyewall passed, and a couple of miiles south of where the NHC radar blew off the top of the building it was on. I had friends and family in Homestead, Cutler Ridge and Country Walk, so I know first hand what you mean, but can't find the words to express it. A long time friend is writing a book "ten years after", I owe her a response to a detailed survey, but so far I haven't been able to sit down and fill it out. Too many bad memories. My mom and most of my friends lived in the curfew zone, so I had to go through multiple National Guard checkpoints to help them out. It was six months before I stopped jumping every time I heard a helicopter.

I also remember Donna when I was not quite 4 years old. The sound is what can't be described, or the smell after.

But I also think that most people, maybe all, on this site really don't hope a hurricance comes their way, but they are very concerned that it might. This can be interepreted as "wishcasting" but I don't think it is.

If Isidore should take a turn North (not just a wobble) then I have something to be worried about.

Bill

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center