Rick
(Weather Watcher)
Sat Sep 21 2002 01:24 PM
Re: My own personal cat 5

As someone who moved from SE Florida to SE Wisconsin at the start of this season, all I can say is that tornadoes scare the bejeezus out of me more than canes ever did! Although the damage is geographically smaller in scope, they are far more numerous and what little warning you get is barely enough to get yourself, Toto and Aunty Em to the storm cellar while the house gets turned into splinters.
Don't get me wrong. I'm not downplaying the destructive force of canes. I'm just saying that as a matter of personal preference, I believe the odds of my survival were better when facing a Cat3 than a T3. Preparation time is one key, but long term preparedness is also necessary. As a witness and a rebuilder of the destruction of Andrew, I felt like I knew what to do to increase the survivability of my home both in the storm and in the aftermath. I have no such confidence when faced with the thought of a tornado.

To Derek and others from Indiana, glad nobody was killed and good luck with the rebuilding.

Rick

PS...nice to be back on these boards

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center