Steve
(Senior Storm Chaser)
Sat Sep 21 2002 04:21 PM
Preparations done at my house...

You gotta love tropical season. I took care of my two main worries today - plywood for 2 windows in my safe room and provisions.

We've decided to make my bedroom the safe room because it has access to the attic just in case. There was a need for a 40 x 50 and a 40 x 69 cut of plywood. Got a new flashlight for one of my kids and updated the AA battery supply. Home Depot was just starting to get crowded. I only had to wait about 10 minutes for my plywood to be cut.

I Hit Sav-A-Center next. We bought 12 gallons of Kentwood Spring Water to go with the 36 12 oz bottles of Ozarka I already have. We had a bunch of non-perishables already in stock. I also got some coals and starter fluid - you can never have enough of that if there is power or gas line interruption. Then I picked up a 12-pack of Abita Amber and a case of Coors Light. Beer is another thing you can never have too much of . I know about 12 of 'em will be gone tomorrow with the NFL, but I can always restock later. Btw, water was getting REALLY low at Sav-A-Center. They still had a few hundred gallons, but that will be gone by noon. I'd say the boys at the Abita Springs and Kentwood bottling plants have their work cut out for 'em the next few days.

The main reason I wanted to post this stuff is to let remind everyone between Brownsville and Tampa that now is the time to act. Most of us already have half of our stuff in place (first aid kits, flashlights, etc.). The rest will be disappearing from the shelves little by little until the lines become unbearable. Since you're more aware than the average bear (obvious because you're reading this forum), be smart and go take care of stuff now so you'll only have a few things to deal with mid-week - topping off your gas tank, replenishing ice. Only having to wait in 1 or 2 lines beats the snot out of having to wait in 5!

Steve

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center