Rick
(Weather Watcher)
Sun Sep 22 2002 04:10 AM
Re: Ominous post from Bastardi tonight...

Good interview w/ Emer. Mngr from Big Easy on CNNs "The Big One" tonight (I think it's on again tomorrow night-check local times). He basically said that if a cat4 or 5 hits N.O., bad things, man...real bad things.
Said the levys and flood walls couldn't take the storm surge of a major and it would then be "Lake New Orleans".

A lot of points raised here were brought up. Like how there's no funding for model improvements until a coastal city gets an "E" ticket ride in the spin cycle, and rampant coastal developement. And how the uninitiated can't imagine the pure brute strength until they've seen it.

Some time was also spent on weather modification ("Stormfury" NOT dynagel) with Dr. Bob and his predecessor and the ramifications that halted it.

An interesting thing was how they shot a 2x4 at plywood and the only thing that resisted it was 1" thick plywood!

It was cool to see "Dr Bobs Bunker" again, though! (That's what we called it when we were building the new Hurricane Center). Looks like they added a few more antennae to the top from when I last saw it. FYI...That place is 12" thick concrete with another 12" thick concrete interior shell, and if that's not enough, another 12" thick tornado-proof rest room area with provisions for chemical toilets, and standby power generation for the entire place down to the last water fountain and coke machine. (I just hope they did something with the above ground fuel line to protect it from flying debris!)

Sorry for rambling. If it's a repeat, my appologies... I thought it was a new show!

Rick

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center