cappycat
(Verified CFHC User)
Sun Sep 22 2002 09:54 PM
barometric pressure question?

I have been lurking over the last few days and have enjoyed the discussion and learned a great deal.

We are planning to evacuate if this monster heads towards New Orleans, though we have always stayed before. I am pregnant and concerned about the barometric pressure and pre-term labor. With the pressure being so low at the center of this thing, I figure the best course of action is load up me, the kids and the cats (hubby will join us later) and head north. But, I am curious. How dramatic is the difference in barometric pressure from the eyewall to the outer areas of the storm? I guess I am thinking of the difference of a direct hit vs. a glancing blow by the outer edges of the storm.

Thanks,

monique

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center