Frank P
(Veteran Storm Chaser)
Sun Sep 22 2002 11:55 PM
Re: GOTTA HIT NEW ORLEANS

Justin, the eye of Camille went inland at Waveland/Bay St Louis MS area... It was an extremely small in diameter ~ 8 miles or so...

That's about 20 miles to the west of Biloxi, Gulfport, Long Beach, Pass Christian all in the extremely violent NE quadrant of the storm... anemometer at Keesler AFB (Biloxi) failed after recording gusts in excess of 200 mph....

Tide estimates of 26 feet just east of the eye and 22 feet at my house ... which is 20 feet above sea level... and is one of the highest elevations along the beach on the MS coast... I live next to Edgewater mall on the east side.... the house I was actually staying in during the storm had 5 feet of water... should have stayed home on the beach...

Since then I have totally rebuilt my house making it even much stronger than the one that actually survived Camille... the only thing that would make me evacuate is if the tidal surge exceeds 20 feet... then I'm a gone pecan... I just don't see that happening... not even with a strong Cat 4... I've been through every storm that has hit the coast since Betsy of 65....

Why do I stay, its personal and leave it at that....But let me emphasize that I certainly don't recommend staying for a major storm for ANYONE.... my family will evacuate for any storm with winds above 120 mph that hits to our west... and I will evacuate if the tidal surge is expected to exceed 20 feet...

but thanks for asking......

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center