Frank P
(Veteran Storm Chaser)
Mon Sep 23 2002 02:55 AM
Evening NoviceMS

Nice to hear from my neighbor to the east. If I was you I would make sure you have your plan together as to what you would do depending on the situation at hand.

What I do is not important, its what you will do that is... hey when it comes to hurricanes we all learn something from each experience...

I'm an old hurricane veteran and most likey will foolishly ride out the storm... this is for a plethora of reasons, one of which I've been through so many they really don't scare me anymore...

However, I would not recommend for anyone to ride out a storm, this is a personal preference that applies to me.... and not to my family.... and they support me on this decision

If you are in an area that gets an evacuation notice... then leave... period... if you are not required to evacuate, and you live in a VERY well built home, far away from any chance of flooding, and you don't have any pines trees in your yard, then you may opt to stay... but chances are if you do, and you've never been in a major storm before, I would bet money that you will regret that decision....

If we get a Cat 5, unlikely I might add, and there are predictions of tidal surges of 20 or greater I will probably go shelter where I work, Stennis Space Center... I have an office on a rocket test stand which is built of two feet reinforced concrete walls... probably the safest building on the entire MS coast... bar none...

Just make sure you are ready when the time comes to act on whatever decision you make, and one more important thing... if you do evacuate don't wait till the last minute as the traffic situation on the coast could be a nightmare....

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center