Frank P
(Veteran Storm Chaser)
Tue Sep 24 2002 11:16 AM
My thoughts this morning...

Looking at the latest IR loop the system appears to be moving off to the NW or NNW.... I'd estimate the center to be at approximately 21.7N and 89.9W. And with a moving system I think the worthless models should start performing better as to the track.... So I am reasonably sure this system should not give us any BIG surprises as far as tracking, if anything maybe a slight jog to the east as it approaches the coast...

The big question I have is intensity... this is a very large system... SSTs are prime and I would not be surprised to see Izzy get to a Cat 2 with 110 mph winds... I remember how Opal exploded into a major storm while approaching the coast when it was just south of Biloxi, which was not projected by any forecast... but it weaked somewhat when it went inland in FL.... This is also a scenario to consider, however, I don't think Izzy will weaken as it approaches the coast, and may continue to strengthen right until land fall... Best guess right now is the center would be 50 miles either side of New Orleans.. but since it is such a big system the entire northern gulf coast will feel some of its effects....

Hey, at least I got 6 hours of sleep last night.... now tonight maybe a different story as all eyes will be focused on intensity.... minimal hurricane or not, at least he is finally moving off the YP...

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center