Frank P
(Veteran Storm Chaser)
Mon Jun 03 2002 01:32 AM
Re: Atlantic Hurricane Season Starts Today

Rad, thanks for the offer... the hound dawgs like pizza with their beer, I'll bring the pizza....

Steve, law of averages eventually will catch up with Nawlins. Last direct hit with a major was Betsy in 65, what's that, 37 years without a storm of any significant...

Let's see, Camille in 69 came really close but slice off to the east (although the mouth of the river area got pounded), Elena in 85 kinda headed over that way but came up short hitting Biloxi, Andrew was a close call but didn't cause all that much damage to the city as it went off more to the west, and Georges in 98 scared the stew out of the city... but also hit Biloxi... and I might have missed a few as I'm trying to recall from memory... but I'm right on with regards to majors...

N.O. has been dodging bullets for many years... Yeah they had some minor storms , some Cat 1s (Bob, Juan) and tropical rain makers over the years but who hasn't! Real significant hurricane damage from storm surge and wind starts with the strong Cat 2 storms... Something Nawlins has not experienced in almost 40 years...

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center