Kevin
(Weather Master)
Mon Jun 03 2002 04:35 PM
Re: GO WATCH BASTARDI'S METEOROLOGICAL DISCO for today

When I watched Bastardi's meteorological map discussion today, I found one very intersting fact about the 9/10/11/12 named stormed seasons. It seems that when we have the majority of the storms form west of 65W, is when these types of season turn into major East Coast landfall years, El Nino, La Nina, neutral.

So, for all of the hurricane landfall nuts out there, if you want major U.S. action this year (including East Coast landfalls), look for storms that form west of 65W.

For example, look at 2000. We really had Debby, which was a storm that formed west of 65W (I think, I'll check that later to verify) and it was a major threat to South Florida, but was destroyed because it's circulation outraced it's convection (2000 became famous for that little trick).

Then we go to 2001. We had the majority of the Atlantic storms form east of 65W. And guess what? They all recurved.

And finally, this year could really test the theory that La Nina years see more U.S. landfalls, especially on the East Coast. It also looks as if the Caribbean will be much more active than the East Atlantic. If this is true, then Bastardi could really be on to something.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center