Steve
(Senior Storm Chaser)
Mon Jun 03 2002 07:23 PM
Thanks...

Greyman - no problem. I wasn't pointing TX out in any way to be facetious, just noticed it after you posted the spreadsheet. I'm like you, I want one every year too.

Ed - Thanks for the bit on the southern jet. I hadn't actually even looked at that yet. I based my earlier post and possible resulting tracks off of a disagreement I have with with Dr. Gary Gray who believes the position of the Atlantic Ridge this year to be such that most storms are directed toward the Outer Banks and then out to sea. I'm basing my prediction of an Atlantic Ridge that either is just at the US East Coast or a few hundred miles into the Continental US off of observations and off of the pattern that appears to be setting up for this summer with a mean trof centered somewhere between 90 and 95 west. This should allow steering of anything below 24N and beyond west of 75W to the WNW, NW and N until it would theoretically reach the western periphery of that ridge. I might just be blowing smoke - wouldn't be the first time - but I think I'm going to be right on this one. Of course the ridge will ebb and flow, so how its steering mechanisms come into play obviously depends on a given moment in time.

Frank P - Danny - that was it. We got some rain from it, but nothing to write home about. It was weird how it just sat in Mobile Bay and actually emptied it. That's probably not a first, but it's the first time I've ever heard of such a thing there.
I checked the cool storm plotter link you posted and it did show that Danny crossed LA above the Mouth. It was close, but we didn't see any effects outside of a few dark clouds with some rain. If memory serves me right, we got about 2" or so here in the City - then again, it was 5 years ago so that might be +/-.

Been an enjoyable day at FLH.com today. Nice to see the excitement perking back up.

Steve

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center