wxman007
(Meteorologist)
Tue Jun 04 2002 07:27 PM
Re: The METS are Watching....

Yes, we are...

Buoy and ship data confirm that this is a upper-level feature with little, if any, surface reflection...so will it evolve into something surface based?

There are two schools of thought from the models on this...the ETA/NGM/NOGAPS are keeping it a upper-level system only...while our friend the AVN create a surface reflection as a closed low, taking it north to near Mobile in a few days...

So which do we believe? In general, in this situation you'd lean (in general) towards the AVN, with it's better assimilation and global domain...the ETA isn't really equipped for this, with it at the edge of it's domain. However, the AVN has well-documented problems with early season over-development and spurious low development. Still, I do like the rather aggressive AVN moisture fields today, but am not as impressed with the pressure fields. I'm not betting for low development in the Gulf (there is a LOT of shear), but it wouldn't surprise me to be wrong.

As always, your mileage may vary....

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center