Frank P
(Veteran Storm Chaser)
Wed Jun 05 2002 06:21 PM
Re: Will a depression form today or tonight?

Steve, I don't know if a depression is going to form or not but I think there could be an incubation process taking place right now. I also agree that its signature, although not that impressive, is as good as its been thus far. Looking at the latest IR loops it appears the convection is slowly on the increase this afternoon.

Pressure on the SW MS coast is 1011.5 and slowing falling. One thing that could certainly increase the probability of something developing is for the shear to let up. Joe B. in his tropical update today predicted some high pressure ridging that should take place in the GOM during the next several days... If the convection sticks around long enough something may just develop, albeit a very slow process if it does.

If anything does develop we can always watch the surf in Gulf Shores Ala.

http://www.gulflive.com/beachcam/

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center