Steve
(Senior Storm Chaser)
Wed May 15 2002 03:11 AM
Re: Earthquakes, Fires, Floods, and Tornadoes

A little udpate to my 13/8/3 post. We were discussing that over on the storm forum. I gotta get used to the news and the forum and where the action is going to be.

As I process more information, I think there are five main focus points for possible landfalls this year:

1) Florida - South Florida appears to be a target from the E, ESE and SE. The panhandle appears to be a target from the SW and SE. Depending on oscilations of the Bermuda Ridge, the flow should be at FL from the SE, and ridge should act as a block when its western edge is across FL, as a steering mechanism into the panhandle if when it's periphery is not beyond 85-88 degrees west.

2) Caribbean - What can you say? With so much area, at least one of the islands is bound to take a pounding.

3) US East Coast - whenever we switch to troughy periods, they're always in the game.

4) AL/MS Coast - As the Bermuda Ridge ebbs back easterly, as it will at times in late August through September, someone needs to paint a bullseye on this 160+/- mile stretch of coast.

5) Western LA/Upper Texas Coasts- If the western ridge pattern sets up as Bastardi has predicted - off of the Baja, then the Northerly and Northwesterly flow should be far enough inland to allow for a path of weakness between Lafayette and Galveston. Any mid-season storms (July, August, September) that make their way into the Gulf, have as good of a shot to hit here as anywhere. This, of course, assumes a block across FL and formation in the BoC and/or southern Gulf.

But I'm not ready to make my official landfall predictions yet. That will come on 6/1 or 6/2.

Steve

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center